Attending a course with us is a unique, immersive, and interactive experience. A lot of people ask about our semi-circular chair arrangement after checking our social media posts. "What is this Kensho thing?"
Well, it's hard to answer without attending, but I can at least highlight some key differentiators to give you an idea of what it's about:
- We don't have students, we have participants.
- We don't have a teacher, we have a facilitator.
- Everyone teaches each other, everyone learns from each other.
- It's as experiential as it is intimate as it is educational.
- Participants get out of it what they put into it.
Our courses are like group therapy sessions in a professional context. There is a lot of silence because we spend a lot of time thinking. There is a lot of discussion, too, but it's largely about digesting the content. We process what we learn by sharing, interpreting, and even debating.
We offer optional (and highly recommended) meditation for 30 minutes before each session starts. We usually intentionally ask ourselves to do nothing in addition to breathing exercises, but we sometimes do loving kindness meditation.
Each session is approximately 2 hours of material, usually 50-70 slides containing quotes, bullets, and activities. Our activities are often group discussions (groups of 2, 3, 4, or the entire room), but sometimes require meditation, writing, analysis, and guesswork. It's almost never easy.
When I'm facilitating (not teaching!), I'd say I talk about 40% of the time and the remaining 60% of communication is from everyone else. Since I learn something new every session, it really is just as participatory for me as it is for anyone else.
There are times when people have their heads in their hands. There are times when people look lost. There are lots of laughs and smiles. Our sessions run the gamut. And every time I worry that the material was boring, I get feedback from someone saying, "That was my favorite session."
We also have had tacos, beer, soda, and water at every session, so there's that.
If you'd like to come by and check out a session in the Phoenix area or just want to talk about it, please drop us a line at info-@-kensho.io (remove the hyphens).